Often times I just throw things in the Vitamix and don’t pay any attention to measurements…leaving me guessing when I try to replicate a delicious smoothie. Several weeks ago, I created a chocolate one that received quite a few ‘likes’ on Instagram, so I thought I would share the recipe here, for those who don’t follow me on IG. Luckily, this was one I kept track of as far as ingredients and measurements 🙂
CACAO CRUNCH SMOOTHIE: (vegan, gluten-free, soy-free)
What you need:
- 4 frozen bananas, chopped
- 2 TBSP raw almond butter *
- 1-2 TBSP raw cacao powder (depending on how chocolatey you like it)
- 1 TBSP lucuma
- 2 tsp maca
- 1 tsp mesquite powder
- 1.5-2 cups cold filtered water to blend (can use nut/seed milk to make even creamier)
- 2 TBSP raw cacao nibs
- Optional toppings (blackstrap molasses, white mulberries, cacao nibs)
* use sunflower seed butter to make nut-free
I use Terrasoul, Navitas Naturals and/or Oijo when it comes to cacao, maca, lucuma, mesquite and other superfoods. Whole Foods and Natural Grocers often times stock these products. You can also order them online via Amazon, Vitacost or directly through their websites.
- Blend the bananas, almond butter, cacao, lucuma, maca and mesquite – gradually adding water until you reach your desired consistency.
- Add in the cacao nibs and blend briefly to combine.
- I drizzled my glass jar with a generous amount of blackstrap molasses, then poured in the thick chocolate smoothie. Toppings are optional, but I love adding them to my smoothies for crunch!
- Grab your straw and/or spoon and ENJOY!
You can add dates, coconut sugar or maple syrup if it isn’t sweet enough, but I felt the lucuma, blackstrap molasses and bananas provided just the right amount of sweetness.
If you make this, I’d love to see! Tag me on Instagram @besolful_vegan or use the hashtag #besolfulvegan
Thanks for stopping by!