Chocolate + Tahini + Salt = LOVE
Dear WordPress, how do you NOT recognize tahini as a word??? That little red squiggly line annoys me! Ha! It has been a LONG time since I’ve shared a tahini recipe with you, which is silly considering I use tahini on an almost daily basis. Whether savory or sweet, it’s my go-to and has been for several years. I know not everyone loves the stuff as much as I do, and if you’re not a fan, don’t be too quick to write off this recipe! Chocolate is the star here and tahini is the backup dancer. SO rich, salty, sweet, and these have a texture that will surprise you because not only is there zero oil, but there’s not an ounce of flour in these bad boys!
True story…I’ve noticed that a lot of grain-free (and even gluten-free) cookies disappoint me the next day. What was once a crispy, buttery cookie will often times be dry or too soft as leftovers. Don’t get me wrong, cookies in my household will get eaten regardless, but I don’t want to feel rushed into eating them so as not to lose their greatness. Does that make sense?? With these flourless cookies, they taste just as good, if not better, the following day! P.S. – pro tip…store these in the fridge for ultimate goodness!
Before I dive in to this recipe, I wanted to say a couple of things. First, HELLO to all of the new readers here – not sure how you found me, but I’m glad you did! Thank you for subscribing! Second, I’ve been sitting on at least a dozen recipes that need to be photographed (my least favorite part) and typed up in a post, but I’m finding that there just aren’t enough hours in the day…especially with summer practically here! Ours days have been spent mostly outside! So I’m pretty proud of myself for squeezing in a recipe here before we leave for our road trip. I promise to share more soon!! I’m not kidding when I say that I might recruit Willow for help 😉
Now let’s get to the good stuff…
Be sure to read the note regarding tahini!
FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE TAHINI COOKIES
Makes 15-20 small cookies
What you need:
- 1 flax egg (1 TBSP ground flax + 3 TBSP water)
- 1/2 cup raw tahini***
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 heaping cup chocolate chips (melted)
- 1/8-1/4 cup of additional chocolate chips to stir in
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium size bowl, make your flax egg and set aside for five minutes.
- After your flax egg has had a chance to set, stir in the tahini, coconut sugar, vanilla, salt, and baking soda.
- In a double boiler, melt your 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- Stir in the melted chocolate until well combined. Then fold in the additional chocolate chips.
- Next, you can do one of two things: You can grab a small cookie scoop to form balls OR if you’re not in a huge rush to get your cookie fix, you can let the dough firm up a bit before baking. The melted chocolate will begin to solidify after it’s been sitting for a little while, thus making it easier to work with. You can also chill in the fridge for 15+ minutes to really firm up the dough. BUT option one works just as well! Allow a little room for the cookies to spread out (no need to flatten).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack. DO not try to eat right out of the oven as they will fall apart…patience is key and I promise it will be worth the wait!
- For best results, allow to cool a few more minutes on the cooling rack and store these in the fridge in an airtight container. I cannot tell you how long they will last (freshness) because they’re usually gone in 2…maybe 3 days!
Please come back and let me know if you give this recipe a try!
Thanks for stopping by!